How to Install a Magnetic Door Lock
The following describes the preparation and installation of a magnetic door lock and it applies to the following models EVML300LED, EVML600LED and EVML1200LED
After you receiver your order, carefully unpack the magnetic lock and check the inventory of all parts and accessories following the list enclosed with the installation instructions and drawings enclosed with the magnetic lock.
Typically a magnetic lock kit will include the following major parts:
- Magnet (item 1 in Figure 1) and Mounting Plate (item 5 in Figure 1) attached together with setting screw.
- Armature plate drill template and installation drawing.
- Plastic Bag with accessories including 3mm Allen wrench and 5 mm Allen wrench (for 1200Lbs magnetic locks only), Armature Screw, Sex nut bolt, Metal Washer, Rubber Washer, 10 self tapping screw
Prepare the following tools (See Images for refernce):
- Cordless Hand Drill with drill bits compatible with the lock accessories and the specific door and door frame material
- Philips screw driver for Philips head #2
- Allen wrench 3mm. (Note: although the accessory kit enclosed with the magnetic lock includes this wrench, it is recommended that the installer use a wrench with a T-handle such as Wiha, P/N 334/SW 3.0X100)
- (Relevant to EVM1200LED only) Allen wrench 5mm ((Note: although the accessory kit enclosed with the magnetic lock includes this wrench it is recommended that the installer use a wrench with a T-handle such as Wiha, P/N 334/SW 5.0X100).
- Pencil, measuring tape and ruler.
|Cordless hand drill
||Philips Screw Driver #2
||Allan wrench 3mm
||Allan wrench 5mm
- For general orientation and magnetic door placement of an OUTSWING door refer to Figure 1.
- Refer to Figure 2 and 3. Remove the cover plate (6) and release the Anti-Temper set screws (4) using the 3mm Allen wrench, on the right and left side of the magnet. Using the Allen wrench (3mm for 600Lbs and 5mm for 1200lbs) release the Set Screws (3) on both sides and remove the mounting plate from the magnet (use 3mm wrench for the 300Lbs and 600 Lbs locks and 5mm for 1200Lbs )
- Close the door. Use the magnet mounting plate to mark the designated location of the magnetic lock on the door frame header. NOTE: the magnet placement must accommodate the thickness of the armature plate when door is closed.
- Hold the armature and the magnet and mark the magnetic lock edge location on the door frame header.
- Use the enclosed template to mark the mounting holes of the Armature plate (2) on the door.
Drill the holes according the template and mount the armature plate to the door. NOTE: Do not drill a through hole for the guiding pins of the armature plate. Holes depth must accommodate the guiding pins length for flush fit on the door.
Secure the mounting plate (2) to the door frame header using the 8 enclosed wood screws.
Mount the Armature plate (5) to the door following Figures 2 and 3. Important- use all enclosed washer (metal and rubber). See Figure 3
Close the door to check alignment of armature plate and the magnet.
Connect the wire to Terminals 12/24VDC (according to the wiring instructions) and use set screws (3) to secure the magnet (1) to the mounting plate (2). (See Figures 2 and 3)
Validated the wiring with the enclosed electrical diagram. (Included with Access Control Keypad sets)
Close the door, power up the system and watch the color of the LED at the bottom of the magnetic lock (see Figure 1). Green indicates that the magnet and armature plate are properly aligned. RED indicates that the magnet and armature plate are misaligned. To utilize maximum locking power the magnet and armature plates must be perfectly aligned.
- Important: the Armature plate must align with magnet part horizontally and vertically and when door is closed, the gap between the Armature plate and magnet should not be more than 1mm across when door is close.
- Hint: The Armature plate vertical placement must accommodate the magnet mounting plate thickness.
Figure 1 - Outswing Magnetic Door Lock Installation
Figure 2 - Side View - Magnetic Door Lock Installation
Figure 3 - Magnetic Door Lock parts Assembly